Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Steve’s Barking; An other take on government run grocery stores. Questions.

  I, living in NYC, see that my mayor sees a problem with groceries that in many cases the people of his city can’t afford. It appears to me that he decided that it would be a good idea to have city-run grocery stores. 
 There are problems with this. 
 (1) You collect no taxes from city-run anything.
 (2) It would appear that private-run stores would help subsidize their competition with city-run grocery stores.
 Will some of them close up shop (depriving the city of needed tax revenue)?
 (3) What union will the employees of these city-run grocery stores belong to? I’m sure that there would be competition and complaining among the unions.
 (4) How honest will the inspectors of food safety be? 
 Will they worry about their jobs and therefore not do an honest job?
  I probably left several things out.
 The true reason I’m writing this is because we do things without thinking things through, and hopefully, someone who happens to come across this blog will think of the adverse conditions that happen when you try correcting a conceived problem that may bring about other problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment